Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Divide and Conquer

If you are like me who works best alone. You must be beside your mind. ^.^

I have heard about teamwork and delegating work as good strategies to get a project done in record time. But I can honestly say, and my old bosses can vouch for this, that I work best alone. But this recent project has shown me that there is indeed strength in numbers and that my limitations can be augmented by the strength of others.

I know, it's pretty late for me to realize this when I have been thrust into group work since grade school. But I have always been the kind who wanted to do things my way and others could just follow me or get out of the way. I pretend to take people's ideas in but in reality I am just checking if they are thinking along the lines of what I was already planning to do.

This frustrates a lot of people. But I also have a pet peeve that matches this personality tick that I have. It's people who just complain but never do anything or suggest anything productive. And I am glad to say, I don't have anyone in this project who is like that. There are still those who do things their own way but somehow it works. And they are able to make great contributions to what needs to be done.

Having people you like work on something you would rather be doing than wasting your life away looking at the work clock and doing a Nakamura to make it go faster, feels great. Despite the need to pump myself with caffeine and chocolates to rush my creative juices, I find that there is a kind of peace in this kind of existence.

I wake up (or try to) as early as I can to get to work (as early as I can). [Yes, I know. I surprise myself as well.] And endure the commute (which as you know I really hate doing since it's a torture on my nose and feet as well as a challenge to my claustrophobic tendencies to be on the subway) to get to where my new office is. Just so I can do something that I would otherwise not have seen myself doing in...ever. And taking responsibilities like the one I am tasked to do now never cross my mind in the last three years since E-lamp. I didn't want to because I felt like my skill set didn't match anything they wanted me to do. Or I didn't want to do it because I felt like I would just be overexerting myself for someone else's profit. I was told that this year the best thing to do is to work on a project with friends. And that is exactly what I am doing right now. I am working on something creative and useful and I am among new and old friends.

So what if I am a bit tired and on a coffee buzz? I am sure I can handle it. And I don't catch myself daydreaming anymore or thinking that I am somewhere else doing something other than what I am supposed to do.

And I know there aren't a lot of people who can say that about what they do to pay their bills. But I can. Bohemian or not. I am glad I went back. And I am staying for as long as possible.


p.s.

Sometimes the greed that is found in the world astounds me. And it irks me when I am the one who gets caught up in the wake of it. Like a fisherman in a freaking storm surge. I expect that I am going to need a new brain after all this is done. T_T

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?