Sunday, September 26, 2010

ARCHIVE : Teaching Jobs in South Korea - Stony Brook


Teaching Jobs in South Korea - Stony Brook


Stony Brook Article
My student and I got to talking about his meetings. My student is an academician, as some would later find out. He might get miffed if I told the whole world that I am teaching him so I would not put his name here since he, as he has also mentioned, is highly googlable (if that is even a word). He told me that he was meeting with some American friends who were planning to put up a Stony Brook in Incheon. He has been kidding me that I should go to Korea and teach English there. I had insisted that I did not have a license to teach English in Korea or in the Philippines. I even said that it's illegal for Filipinos to teach English in Korea since we are not exactly considered "native speakers" since English is mostly a second language here. Still, he insisted that it would be a great opportunity for me to work in that university, if not as a teacher but maybe as a teacher's assistant.

I have to admit that it felt good to have someone like him tell me or suggest that I would be good enough to work for any university. He is after all a president of a university.

I teased him that I might just consider that. I told him about how I found out he was actually a president of a university and not a president of a company as I had previously thought. I checked the extension of his e-mail like I did some of my students. (This helped me know the parameters and needs of my students. It's not snooping. It's hard to give examples if you don't know what company they work for. And e-mail extensions usually open to the company's main site.) I was surprised when I saw that the president's name matched with my student's name. This might be the reason why he was a bit tentative when he first gave me his Korean name. But I was oblivious to who he was. All I knew about him was that he loved golf (as most businessmen in Korea did) and that he tend to ask about the synonyms and antonyms of some words. I think because I was able to pass all of his "tests" he found that I was reliable to talk to. His English is not lost in translation as what most students in his age tend to have. It was more of him trying to remember the words that he knows. He also had to overcome the cultural misconceptions of some American expressions.

Anyway, going back to the Stony Brook thing, I googled it while we were talking and found it interesting.

He told me that if I ever considered applying, then he would give me a recommendation. He said that he had some pull or power to wield.

Oh, di ba? Event ito. ^^

But I have no means of finding out how I can apply and I really hate airplanes. I would die from all the spicy food and I want to learn Korean but from afar. ^^ But who knows? If I hate the new president elect, I might just try to leave the country. ^^
I would have to read up on grammar rules and study again. But who knows?

+++

As of 022510

A friend confirmed what my student said, Filipinos are able to legally teach English in Korea. I guess if they are hired in the legal way then they can. ^^ Cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?