Sunday, September 26, 2010

ARCHIVE : Expiry date on Marriage would make couples lazy


Expiry date on Marriage would make couples lazy

Women's group wants expiry date on marriage 
By Perseus Echeminada (The Philippine Star) Updated January 08, 2010 12:00 AM

If this proposal becomes an actual law there would be at least two or three people who would benifit from it. One would be a woman whose husband cheated on her several times and even gave her an std while she was pregnant. One would be a man who can't get an annulment because his ex-wife wants to keep him miserable despite the fact that her family drove them apart and she destroyed their marriage contract. Then the last one would be me. If this whole thing pushes through, I would not be afraid to get married. At the very least I would have one reason to go on with it. I have been a commitment-phobe since I was in sixth grade. I had known since that time that I would not marry anyone willingly. (I am not eliminating shotgun weddings. Batangas is pretty well-known for this case to be rampant.) If I only have ten years to be with anyone, if he is someone who I thought would be loyal and loving but turn out to be a cheating bastard, then I can move on with my life. And if he (for fairness sake I will say this) finds me too loud (Yes, I am a nag.) then he can either put on earphones or let the license expire.

I am not a lawyer nor do I know much about the law surrounding marriages, but I think this would open a whole can of worms. It would need so many other changes to be implemented or made in the present laws regarding legitimacy and such.

But what I am really trying to say is that, people would start being lazy. Couples would not work as hard as they would if they knew that they can get out of the marriage anyway. This would just make one more line in the municipalities and people might end up forgetting to do it. They'd end up realizing they forgot by the time one of them dies. And then what happens?

Really, don't we have other laws that need to be passed? Women have more pressing concerns, don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?