Sunday, September 26, 2010

I am Teacher SAMANTHA articles - archive


I am Teacher SAMANTHA articles - archive

Friday, July 24, 2009
I teach Koreans English
I am not saying I am a grammar Nazi or anything like that but this is where I will blog about my students and put some of the things that I use in teaching them. It kinda helps to have some other place to have it in case there is a sudden reformat or the system is not being friendly that day.

I can also link it to my students if they need any help. ^^

So...

Aja Aja Fighting!
Posted by Pinaywriter at 9:05 PM

+++

On students
I have a wide range of students to teach. Some of them are kids but most of them are professionals. Most of them are nice. Others are just to sleepy to care about studying. The latter part often occurs in students who are forced to study English. And most especially with kids and teenagers.


But there are those who you really want to help because you genuinely like them.


This girl is one of them. ^^ That is her dog btw.

It doesn't matter what level they are if they are interesting to talk to, they make my work very enjoyable. ^^



+++

Sunday, July 26, 2009
Welcome to the Philippine Islands!
Most of my students love to ask about our country. And the best way to do this is to look at the pictures some of my online friends and offline ones as well, have taken.

This blog will link the blog pages that would show that.

( Hopefully our IT doesn't block this one. Because seriously... there should be a limit to what they can limit. )

RICE TERRACES

http://markyramone.wordpress.com/2009/06/29/batad-rice-terraces-of-banaue-tappia-falls/

SAMAL ISLAND

http://markyramone.wordpress.com/2009/06/10/samal-island-chemas-by-the-sea/

Davao

http://sanipilip.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/davao-city-paradise/#comment-39

Palawan Beaches

http://sanipilip.wordpress.com/2008/03/06/palawan-beaches-are-best-in-asia/

New Guimaras

http://sanipilip.wordpress.com/2008/03/06/new-guimaras/

Butanding and Mayon Volcano

http://sanipilip.wordpress.com/2008/03/05/butanding-festival-in-bicol/
Posted by Pinaywriter at 4:33 PM
Labels: links, philippines, places, Tourism

+++

Sunday, July 26, 2009
Things to do in the Philippines - Sports
WAKEBOARDING

http://markyramone.wordpress.com/2009/06/25/camsur-watersports-complex-cwc/

ZIPLINING

http://markyramone.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/zipline-camp-sabros-digos-city-davao-del-sur/

SURFING

http://markyramone.wordpress.com/2008/08/31/la-union-redux/

WHITE WATER RAFTING

http://markyramone.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/white-water-rafting-at-davao-river/
Posted by Pinaywriter at 4:39 PM
Labels: activity, Philippines, sports, Tourism

++++

Sunday, July 26, 2009
Odd Binary on Topics
On Mondays I often ask my student what she did during the weekend.



My student F told me she was in a meeting last Sunday. After a few more details came out...it turns out she was on a speed dating event last Sunday. +_+ But I am glad she was able to say so many things about it correctly that I was able to tell her what it was called.

More on this when I get back. ^^

+++

The funny thing was we were supposed to talk about cremation. Yes, not all the topics we have are bubblegum (sweet and chewable) types. Since we have to teach them how to converse not only in a good level in English but with those who are of their intellectual level (meaning adults) we have to talk about serious stuff as well.

The hard part is shifting topics. Believe me, it's hard to shift or connect speed dating to cremation. I went with the we don't live forever so we must live like everyday is our last. *.*
Posted by Pinaywriter at 5:36 PM
Labels: speed dating, students, topics


++++

Sunday, July 26, 2009
answer

I have two rooms.
I have a room in my parents house. It has white walls. It is because of the ivory-colored wallpaper. There are desks, a closet, consoles and a bookshelf. I don’t have a bed, I sleep on a thick comforter. My favorite thing is the bookshelf because it was made by a relative who is a carpenter. I usually read books, surf the internet and sleep in my room.

My other room is my work area. I store my painting materials and canvasses there. I basically live there during weekdays.
Posted by Pinaywriter at 10:38 PM
Labels: answer

+++

Monday, July 27, 2009
The Busy and the Offline-y
There are days when you need to rest and your students just cooperate without knowing that they are doing you a favor.

For example, I have two absentees today. One of them did not have a good internet connection in her house today. The other one is busy at work. It doesn’t matter to me if the first one is an entry level and the other one is a boss in his own right but I love them both right now that my eyes can hardly focus because I came from a “meeting” with the Luvshak Q.C. chapter (friends.end.of.story).

Let’s just say my head hurts not because of grammar lapses today. ^^

So like I say to them in my head, “Please feel free to be busier than me.
Posted by Pinaywriter at 6:19 PM
Labels: sleep, students

++++

Monday, July 27, 2009
Oppsies 072809
July 28, 2009

What happens when you fall asleep in the middle of a class even if your eyes are open? You end up clicking on the wrong thing and teaching it like the bad hand of cards you got at the poker table. Then your student tells you that she is actually paying more attention than you because she would tell you where you were supposed to be in the first place.

Solution: Bitter cup of Mini-stop Nescafe coffee. No sugar.

[I take that back. Black coffee doesn't help. It actually disorients you. It is harder to focus when you are still sleepy and you have caffeine in your system. I read it somewhere that there was a study that proved it. If anyone can comment that link, thanks.]
Posted by Pinaywriter at 6:20 PM
Labels: personal, student

++++

Monday, July 27, 2009
Worst Case Scenario
What are the things that could possibly happen that could ruin your day if you teach English online?

1. Simultaneous technical problems occur.

2. Slow internet.

3. Get hiccups. And they won't go away.

4. Choke on your own saliva.

5. Draw a blank.

6. Speak in Tagalog.

7. Student in class in full mounty. ^^

8. Record the wrong sound file or record an video/audio file (which is a memo for me if that was the case).


* updated as the events happen*
Posted by Pinaywriter at 6:21 PM
Labels: personal

+++

Monday, July 27, 2009
Masakit sa Bangs Days
Friday, July 24, 2009

There are those times when you wish your work is not internet based.

There are those moments when you think there is a hacker somewhere laughing at our misery when the online classroom gets all funny and you can’t see the student or you can’t hear the student for that matter (that is worse since you can’t correct the grammar of a person that you can’t hear).

But there are perks. You are online for half of your day. Downside to that is that the internet can be used for work-related things only. Ergo I made this blog to archive some activities and information that I want at my fingertips and far from the reformatting crazed IT guys from my company. (I take that back, I love them despite the fact that they blocked FB and Multiply.) ^^

But when your pc is going gaga on you and the internet is catastrophically slow, it makes you glimpse the stone age in the most dreadful kind of way. Not to those who don’t know, people didn’t know other people lived on the other side of their caves during that time. Ayt?

So there. Most of the time Google is my best friend. And I have remembered how I love MS PowerPoint. It never occurred to me that I would ever be a teacher or tutor. I hated teachers. I dreaded teaching. But it is fun at times. ^^

Oh, in the future I will compare present company with abysmal company that I was in before. Note slanderous words on that blog. ^^

So if you are thinking of getting into this industry, you have to make sure you have the patience for it. Because if you don’t, you will become me. I now smile even when someone pisses me off. It’s a default face. And you would auto-correct people’s grammar without wanting to offend them.

If you can live with that, then ngyud nyab. (good job). ^^
Posted by Pinaywriter at 6:22 PM
Labels: personal teacher

++++

Monday, July 27, 2009
I will be your teacher today
I am teacher Samantha, I will be your teacher today.

These are the first few words that I say to a new student.

I get from the blank stare to the over zealousness of a student. [not complaining] TBC...

* This blog in no way meant to demean Koreans or any nationality. All names are changed for their privacy. All pictures of students are not meant to expose anyone and must not be recopied for any other use but for this blog.
Posted by Pinaywriter at 6:22 PM
Labels: Korean, personal, teacher

+++

Thursday, July 30, 2009
happy opposite day
I had the best day I have ever had in a long time. My microphone was not defaulted into the web cam at all. So I didn't hear my entire teams' classes while I was having my own. I didn't have to try to listen in through all the typing sounds, Korean answers and jolly teachers at all. It was a humdrum day. So I didn't need to go to different stations. There wasn't a station that didn't connect to the internet at all. The microphone problem once it was fixed doesn't default to mute at all. It doesn't require me to unclick the mute on the microphone settings at all. I didn't have to use three computers today. All of my classes started and ended on time. I had full recordings of all the boring classes that I had today. I was not frustrated at all. I didn't want to rage like Wolverine. I didn't remember what frack and shite meant in all the languages that I know them in. Everything was great.

I didn't have an internet withdrawal today. I didn't get so bored that I managed to make several PowerPoint presentation. I am not bored out of my mind at all. I didn't have to walk on eggshells at all. I don't hate Fridays at all. It's not like I have work on Saturday. Today is not a bad day. Not all.

I love opposite day. Really, I do.



Posted by Pinaywriter at 10:06 PM

++++

Monday, August 3, 2009
On Teaching Children



I am not a kid person. I can definitely attest that I am one person whose maternal instincts are indeed so dormant that I make children cry just by looking at them. I find that the only children that I can tolerate are those that are asleep or sitting in one corner not looking over my shoulder. So you see how much of a challenge it is for me to actually teach them English.

There are kids that are naturally intelligent. And I can't help but say that in their mimickery of words they surpass some adults in how well they can say words. The problem is that they are not able to make their own sentences.
The problem with teaching children is that you can not talk too fast or too slow. You have to remember that the way that you say the words can ultimately influence how they would say this word for a very long time. And if you teach them the wrong pronunciation then they might as well take this all the way to a job interview in the future.
The fact that most children study just after they have woken up doesn't help at all. I find that they are either so sleepy they can barely open their eyes or they are so restless and irritable that having class is somewhat useless as well. They would play or scribble (if you have an online classroom like mine, that can be a pain so try not to teach them all the tools all at once. That might prove to be your downfall.)

You also have to be firm but you can't pout or make a face. Children as well as their mothers (who are lurking in the background) are very sensitive about this. If you traumatize your student by suddenly raising your voice or making a face that shows disappointment, they might not want to continue studying with you. Here lies my greatest dilemma, really. I am not a very nice person to begin with so this actually takes more energy from me than having an hour of conversation with someone who has no concept of grammar but insists to talk like a machine gun. (read as non-stop)

Children are very visual so it helps to have a lot of extra material at your disposal. In my case, I make PowerPoint presentations full of pictures and simple sentences so that I can show this to my student at any given time. By repeating simple sentence patterns as well as questions and how to answer them, they are able to remember this the next time you ask them without the visual representation. This sounds like it takes time but looking for materials on the spot might lead to straying attention span. Children nowadays need more stimuli since they are often lost in their own thoughts. If they start scribbling then it is a sign that they are either bored or too creative for their own good.

I still don't know the best way to deal with kids. And I actually have to put a lot of effort into liking them. But nevertheless, there are perks and quirks to talking to a six year old kid. Just remember to be PERKY, PERKY, PERKY!



Posted by Pinaywriter at 7:53 PM
Monday, August 3, 2009
Quality Control
Funny how sometimes you never know when the bosses are going to come barging into your life. I have had my fair share of people telling me and listening in on me when I was in call centers but today there were some Korean marketing officers who came by unexpectedly. ( I think they are still here) I am sure that it was a surprise because we just heard, "We have some guests." The last time we had some guests was when the speech contest winners (students) came by. But this time it's different, for one thing, the reason why they are here are quite obvious. There needs to be an actual site visit to check out why there are so many issues that have been cropping up. I can't help but feel uneasy since the last time something like this happened in my previous company, policies changing and getting stricter and stricter as well as Korean-based administrators coming back and forth, the company was not in the best of positions. But not this company, not this time. I suppose the real reason is that they want to mix business with pleasure. Getting to go to the Philippines would let them do that. We have a Cebu office and surely they would visit that one as well. So while they are here in Manila they can get some urban fun out of working as well as get some sun (if it doesn't rain until the time they leave) when they get to Cebu.

Anyway, I couldn't look at them directly. Darn bad eyesight. +_+ I hope someone is cute. Kidding. ^^


+++++

Friday, August 7, 2009
Tell me more about yourself.
My name is Jin ---. I am thirty years old. I got married three years ago. I have a little girl. I am from Kwang-ju. It is popular for folk art. I got a Electronics degree from Kwang-ju University. I live in Chung-ju. I am in charge of quality control for LCD TV in S------. I love to take pictures during my free time. I have a small point and shoot camera and a Canon dslr. I am just a hobbyist but I like taking pictures of landscapes before. But nowadays I often take pictures of my baby.
Posted by Pinaywriter at 9:30 PM

+++

Friday, August 7, 2009
Describe your best friend.
My best friend’s name is You-phul. We have been friends for ten years. We used to be classmates and roommates. We used to study and watch action movies. He works in Seoul now. He is the same age as me and is a good guy. He is still single. We catch up with each other once or twice a year. It is usually when we are home for the holidays.
Posted by Pinaywriter at 9:31 PM

+++

Friday, August 7, 2009
What do you do?
I am quality control officer for S******. I have been in this position for four years. This is my second job. I used to work in Seoul for another electronics company. I think I am good at my job but I am not fit to be called an expert yet. I choose this field because I considered it exciting. No one can see electricity but by using calculations we are able to control it.
Posted by Pinaywriter at 9:38 PM

++++

Friday, August 7, 2009
Describe your typical day at work
I have to be at work 8:30 a.m. I leave my house at around 7:10. It takes 40 to 50 minutes to get to work. I drive a car to work. I check my correspondence via e-mail. I check for problems and solve them. I usually head a meeting at 10 or 11 whenever there is a quality control issue to discuss with the engineers. I eat at the cafeteria at twelve. We get to choose from western or korean style. After lunch, I go back to work. I often go home at six in the evening. Some times I have to render over time when there are issues in the factory.
Posted by Pinaywriter at 9:46 PM


++++

Au Revior
F was a Christian who worked as a rep in a Hagwon and J was a mom of two.

I liked them both. It's too bad contracts end. ^^

Mr. L also ended his contract. He did learn to talk better but still has a loooong way to go. I hope he works hard on it. ^^

+++

Monday, August 17, 2009
Hates kids but Loves her Wit



It's very rare for me to like students especially if they are very young. Often even if they are complete angels teaching them English is a bit of a burden. Between the parrot-like and the scribblers, it's hard to find a precise way to do things. And for one thing, the mom is ALWAYS always watching. Their kids are below seven, of course they would be watching.

But Lil S is very energetic, loves to read and can keep her attention in class even if she seems to be always flying off her chair (figuratively - she's a bundle of energy).

And the thing is that kids are easier to teach than adults since they are not set in their ways. Correcting a mispronounced word would take months for an adult to consciously remember. To a kid it might take a few weeks less than that. If the kid is exceptionally smart and has great comprehensive skills, once you teach them the right thing and it's their first exposure to the said word or pronunciation, they tend to keep it with them for a very long time.

So my advice to parents is to brush up on your language skills when your kid is able to listen in and say words already. Because it is definitely true that a mother's tongue can affect a child's ability to learn new words, as is in this case, a new language.

+++

Thursday, November 5, 2009
The Tortoise and the Ducks








++++

Thursday, November 5, 2009
The Wolf and the Kid




+++

Sunday, November 15, 2009
The legend of the Pineapple

Add starShareShare with note

    Flip phone + Headset = Flipset





    My student invented a new gadget using his phone and his headset. FTW!
    Add starShareShare with note

      TopBlog Pinaywriter's OD


      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      What do you think?